Skip to main content

Theoretical Framework


Marginalized Populations

In module 4 our class learned about current issues and social work practice.  I was assigned to group 3 as we tackle the marginalize population related to Queer Theory.  I am reminded that week is Transgender Awareness Week.  Transgender Awareness Week, observed November 13 to November 19, is a one-week celebration leading up to the Transgender Day of Remembrance (TDoR), which memorializes victims of transphobic violence.  I ran across an article by Google on "How tech creates new space for the trans community."  The article talks about supporting trans people in tech, and helping small business owners succeed online.

Group 3 did our presentation on QUEER THEORY that consist of the marginalize population of the LGBTQ+ community.

Queer theory seeks to disrupt dominant and normalizing binaries that structure our understanding of gender and sexuality. Heteronormativity describes the belief that heterosexuality is and should be the preferred system of sexuality and informs the related male or female, binary understanding of gender identity and expression. Taken together, queer theory and heteronormativity offer frames to interrogate and challenge systems of sex and gender in educational institutions and research to better support and understand the experiences of LGBTQ youth.

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Traits and Attitudes

What factors shape your identity? What parts of your identity do you choose for yourself? What parts of your identity are determined for you by other people or by society? In our discussion on the analysis of culture and social work, I shared this post: Southern born and raised in the Northwest Valley in a city called Fort Smith in the state of Arkansas, I identify with the term – as a country city boy in my early geographic humble beginnings.  In a family rooted in a strong Christian upbringing, I grew up in poverty without fully understanding just how poor our community was and without allowing it to define us.  When the ugly heads of oppression made their presence felt, I was taught to face oppressions of race, class, ableism, and religion face to face and accept who I am.  Those cultural aspects and more shaped and mold me into the gentle, loving, and respectful person that I am today.  As an African American man, I have and feel that I will always have to deal w...

Cultural Diversity

  What is Cultural Diversity? Cultural Diversity is  the existence of a variety of cultural or ethnic groups within a society.  Cultural diversity supports the idea that every person can make a unique and positive contribution to the larger society because of, rather than in spite of, their differences. ​ As a social worker I will more likely encounter ideas, beliefs or traditions I am unfamiliar with.  Cultural competence allows me to navigate through those differences to help clients overcome barriers to obtaining services to address their needs.